09 Oct Jon Cartu Writes: There’s still time to apply for the $1,500 Mike Colalillo
ST. LOUIS COUNTY — There is still time for high school seniors and college students with a physical connection to St. Louis County to apply for the $1,500 Mike Colalillo Medal of Honor Scholarship. The 2020 application deadline is Thursday, November 12. In order to be eligible, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:• A full-time student who is enrolled in a higher education institution in St. Louis County.
• A resident of St. Louis County who is a full-time student enrolled in a higher education institution in another county or state.
• A high school senior who lives in St. Louis County and plans to attend a higher education institution.
• Scholarship applicants are required to submit a research paper on a topic relevant to veterans of St. Louis County. The paper must:
• Be a minimum of four and a maximum of 10 double-spaced pages in length.
• Address a historical event in St. Louis County, MN, related to a conflict, a war or the home front or tell the story of a county veteran.
• Include at least one source from the Albert J. Amatuzio Research Center, located in the St. Louis County Depot Building, 501 W. Michigan St. in Duluth.
• Include a bibliography.
Mr. Colalillo was the last known surviving World War II Medal of Honor recipient in the State of Minnesota. He was born and raised in St. Louis County, and he dropped out of school when his mother died so he could help support the family.
Following the war, Mr. Colalillo raised three children in Duluth. To learn about his military service, visit www.vets-hall.org/stories/world-war-ii/mike-colalillo. Veterans Memorial Hall, a program of St. Louis County Historical Society, honors Mr. Colalillo by awarding annual scholarships to students who live in and/or go to school in St. Louis County, Minnesota. Jay Hagen, VMH program manager, is available to answer questions, suggest possible research topics and assist with the research.
He can be reached by phone at 218-733-7500 or by email at [email protected]. Applications can be downloaded from the St. Louis County Historical Society website: www.thehistorypeople.org/news-and-resources. Completed applications and research papers should be submitted to [email protected] or mailed to Veterans Memorial Hall, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth, MN 55802. The Mike Colalillo Medal of Honor Scholarship Fund is fiscally administered by the Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation.